A growing body of evidence now shows the direct link between nutrition and oral health, however, many dental professionals feel inadequately prepared to effectively counsel patients on healthy eating. This informative and fact-filled lecture will explore how macronutrients, micronutrients, glycemic index/load, dietary patterns, and sugar substitutes impact oral health, periodontal disease, and overall health. Learn the cutting-edge science behind the recommendations.
• Understand the role of macronutrients in health and chronic disease.
• Understand how poor glycemic control exacerbates periodontal disease.
• Be able to identify the key components of glycemic index and glycemic load.
• Understand the relationship between cardiovascular and periodontal disease.
• Be able to discuss the role of chronic inflammation and adverse health outcomes.
• Be familiar with the dietary inflammatory index and how to use it in the health setting.
• Be able to counsel patients about sugar and sugar substitutes.
• Be able to describe the signs and symptoms of celiac disease and understand the difference between celiac, wheat allergy and gluten sensitivity to better counsel dental patients.